Wednesday 11 July 2007

YEW.

This yew tree is the oldest living thing in Wales it's between 4/5000 yrs old the mind boggles at what it's witnessed.it's situated in st digains llangernyw 5 miles from bodran, again it was to big for me to do it justice.
Th yew grow's in a unique way the branches growing down to form new stems which become the trunks of new trees. also a new trunk can grow from the decaying mass of the old trunk. this is the power of rebirth and transformation.
The yew as always been revered for providing a direct link to the ancestors and the spirit realms..

7 comments:

Cait O'Connor said...

We have a yew in our churchyard (Llanafan Fawr)which is reputed to be the oldest in Wales. There was a sacred spot there of course before the church was erected. I am not wishing to get competitive yew understand :-)

Cait O'Connor said...

PS
Do you know anything about crab apples?

Bluestocking Mum said...

Our last house was called Yew Tree House as there was a huge Yew in the garden...not quite so old...amazing.

I just caught your last blog on here about the heather...whenever I go back to Yorkshire I always pick a couple of sprigs of Heather and keep one in the house and one in the bedroom...

I haven't been for a while so I will try and go up in the holidays...

warm wishes
xx

Chris Stovell said...

Oh, so I am not the oldest living thing in Wales. I do enjoy your tree blogs.

bodran... said...

Yes but cait ours as got a signed thingy by DAVID BELLAMY,neeeeh neeeh.
I know about apple trees i'm not sure about crab i'll do some research...xxx

Anonymous said...

Imagine how many lives that tree has been witness to, and deaths.

bodran... said...

Your right imagine if it could talk! I wonder would it be Welsh or something much older?